maanantai 9. tammikuuta 2012


Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Blomstertid

In 1968 the town of Luleå in Sweden had ordered sculptures from Nordic artists to its new Kristallen district. I was representing Finland. I made an ambitious and "difficult" miniature for a fairly large concrete sculpture. Rajaville Ltd wanted to improve its image with an impressive concrete work and took the order. A whole long summer was spent making the mould. The work was finished and ready for transport to Sweden on September 30, 1968.

Identifiers: Blomstertid

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Simo Aalto, 1991

This is the first version of “Arctic Bells”, which helped Simo win the bronze medal in conjurers' world championships in Lausanne in 1991. He had had the bronze bells made in Alvi Ruonala's workshop in Rovaniemi, and they were not only exactly dimensioned for magic but also allowed playing of any tune. Simo polished and developed his repertoire, winning silver in Dresden in 1997 and gold in Lisbon in the year 2000. In this way he became the only Nordic conjurer to have won the world championship in close-up magic.


Identifiers: Simo Aalto

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Veijo Hukka, 1988

Some time in the 1980's Veijo Hukka, holding a managerial position in a multinational company, got in touch with me. He had done some painting in the form of funny naivistic pictures. Veijo had seen my TV series in which I presented theories connected with visual arts. He asked me if I could start giving him concrete guidance in issues related to colour and design. He wanted to quit his job and become a true artist. And that's what he did.

I had him make a series of exercises based on Johannes Itten's colour theory. I had been using it when I was teaching the use of colours to prospective architects at the Oulu University's Department of Architecture. At the same time I familiarised him with picture composition. Veijo was a very hard-working student. He made great progress and soon went his own way in painting. He became a passionate painter who likes to give exhibitions. We went to museums together. Once he placed himself quite naturally between two saints to pray...

Identifiers: Veijo Hukka

Sunday, May 17, 2009

Veikko Vionoja, 1975

In 1975 I made a TV film called 'Maalaismaisema' [The Rural Scenery] for TV2. Both the theme and Veikko Vionoja's art of a form of life that was disappearing appealed to me. Choosing the music turned out to be a problem. At that time the folk music typical of the Kaustinen region had become popular, and was being played on all media every day. Even though Veikko Vionoja and Konsta Jylhä (a Kaustinen musician) new each other, I did not want to use the Kaustinen music. In actual fact, the rural scenery that he was depicting was vanishing. So I asked Hector to write a song that describes the threat faced by a rural scenery. He wrote the ingenious Trullilaulu for the film. Jorma Karhunen shot a photo of me with Veikko Vionoja at Ylistaro.

Identifiers: Vionoja




  

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti