maanantai 9. tammikuuta 2012


Sunday, May 29, 2011

Documentaries on Artists

These days personal features are usually made as studio interviews. The main role is then occupied by the interviewer, his charisma and ability to carry on the story. The interviewee says what she or he can, trying to establish an idea of what she or he is doing.

I took my film crew to the artist's place. We made the film by showing his works and doings. I tried to make the film reflect the feelings that arose from his work. I myself stayed in the background.

I did not make any more documentaries on artists after the 1990's because of two reasons. Kuvasto started to require a considerable compensation for showing the pictures, and YLE started to invest in new technology. There was not enough money left to make films.

These ideas were inspired by watching my TV films in the Living Archives.



Saturday, May 14, 2011

Look at That Face!

There was a large exhibition of Alberto Giacometti's works in the Sara Hildén Art Museum in Tampere in 1992. “Money, fame and success did not matter to Giacometti: the most important thing was to acquit himself well in his work”, wrote Simone de Beauvoir. “...I could have listened to him for any length of time. For once, nature had not cheated”, Beauvoir continues; “Giacometti was everything his face promised. When you looked at his face at a close distance, you could not fail to observe that it was an exceptional person's face.”

I made a documentary of half an hour for TV2 on the exhibition. You can visit the YLE Living Archives to see what kind of an artist he was.


Identifiers: Giacometti

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti