maanantai 9. tammikuuta 2012


Saturday, March 21, 2009

Reima Pietilä

In 1977 I made a document on Reima Pietilä for TV2. He was not only an international celebrity but also a guru for students of architecture. In this picture, Pietilä is taking our film crew to Hvitträsk. He showed there very concretely how Finnish architecture is linked to the international one. There was also his seaside sauna, a good example how a modern building finds its place in the cultural scenery of Hvitträsk. I desperately tried to perceive the concept of architecture, i.e. how a building can be architecture. I was ashamed of my ignorance until I just recently chanced on Tapani Eskola's doctoral dissertation. He had been studying the very same thing for ten years.

When I was once spending the night at Reima's place in Helsinki, he had an American colleague as his guest. They were together writing a book on the philosophy of architecture. It is not worth publishing a book like this in Finnish, Reima said.

Watching now the film made at that time I find that he was telling more important things in it than I had expected.

(Photo: Jorma Karhunen)


Identifiers: Reima Pietilä

Friday, March 20, 2009

Portrait of Laura

My granddaughter Laura was my model on a regular basis in the 1990's. In my gallery of “One Hundred Pictures of Oulu”, she appears as the Mona Lisa of Oulu: http://www.ouka.fi/100kuvaa/fin/04/028.htm

Photographer Timo Heikkala was present once when I was painting Laura.

Identifiers: Portrait of Laura.

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Hailuoto – the Island of the Good Fairy

I made the documentary on Hailuoto entitled “The Island of the Good Fairy” for TV2 in 1970. At that time the island still was a highly pristine bird island. There was fishing and lichen picking, and of course piloting of ships. Tourism is now taking over this unique idyll as the only industry of the islanders.

Photo: Jorma Karhunen


Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti