maanantai 9. tammikuuta 2012


Wednesday, March 16, 2011

My Bygone World

I called the old Kastelli a painter's paradise. Taking a look out of my studio window, I saw a painting. I found a draft from those times. It took only a few moments to make a painting from it. From the other end of our house, through the kitchen window, a view opened up to the old mansion of Kastelli. As the seasons changed the tones in this scenery, I had no need to go anywhere else to look for themes.
I look back to the old times by painting.

Identifiers: Black roses

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Oulu 1975-76

When Jani Taipaleenmäki was gathering and studying Oulu photo and  film materials, he found this Oulu film made by me in 1975-76 somewhere in the darkness of the archives. I had blissfully forgotten about it myself as well. Oulu had twin cities both in the east and in the west. The city wanted a PR film and ordered one from me. I agreed on the condition that I could freely video Oulu and tell about it the way I and any Oulu resident saw it. They agreed.

For a couple of years, I shot ordinary views, cut the film at home with Markus helping me, Airi translating and speaking the Swedish version, and even a Russian translation was made, but it was never published due to the lack of a Russian speaker. As this film recently appeared on youtube after 35 years, Oulu people can enjoy some moments of nostalgia by viewing it. In this way, memories get a concrete form.

Identifiers: Oulu

Monday, March 14, 2011

Morandi, Munch, Sibelius and Wittgenstein

Jorma Karhunen videotaped my presentation in the Days of Progress in Turku in 1989. It dealt with the world-famous Italian artist Giorgio Morandi. We had made a TV documentary on his exhibition in the Hildén Art Museum. I had also documented Edvard Munch's concealed materials in Oslo, so I drew parallels between these contemporaries. And, as Erik Tavastjärna's biography of Jean Sibelius had just been published as well as a collection of Ludvig Wittgenstein's books, I discussed all four of these.

The TV documentaries on the exhibitions given by Morandi and Munch can be viewed in the YLE Living Archives.


Thursday, March 10, 2011

Saara Aalto Plays Debussy at the Age of Fourteen

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Flowers for Aili

Airi collected a retrospective exhibition of my paintings since 1946. It contains a sample of my works that happened to be available.

Identifiers: exhibition, Retrospection

Friday, March 4, 2011

Black Roses

“He who sees what now is, hath seen all, all that was from eternity, all that shall be without end; for all things are of one kind and of one form.” (Marcus Aurelius)

I set out on the last journey accompanied by darkened roses. I see a light behind death, a light that contains all the colours.

Identifiers: Flower, Black roses

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Blomstertid, 1968

I want to take up this sculpture made for Luleå, Sweden in 1968 because of a person who had a significant impact on this work. He is carpenter Valtteri Suomela who died on February 13, 2011. I had made a sheet metal miniature that would be hard to make into a sculpture. I tried to find a concrete company in Finland that could do it. Rajaville Oy in Oulu was the only one to say yes. All the others thought it was too difficult.

Valtteri Suomela worked hard for an entire summer to produce the mould. Making it work became our joint passion. Valtteri was one of the Finnish nobility of carpenters whom even Alvar Aalto used in his works abroad as well. Today – I think – a concrete sculpture such as Blomstertid would not be made any more.

Photo: Tapio Lehtimäki, 2010.


Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti